Re: [OM] The enduring appeal of GAS

Subject: Re: [OM] The enduring appeal of GAS
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:46:08 -0500
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 4:29 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wrote fawningly:

> > I am intrigued by the yellow lily photo above.  I haven't been able to
> > capture the yellow of daffodils and irises in our yard except very rarely
> > until the EM-1iii.  I find the yellow color usually wants to block up
> and I
> > want the suggestion at least of some translucence.
>
> You've likely put your finger on it - blocked red channel. Try shooting
> with much more negative EV, then pull up the
> rest. In tests, I found that yellow flowers in sun may need as much as -2
> EV for best results. Exposure bracketing is
> not evil. 😁

Exposure bracketing is likely how I identified the problem.  I tend to
shoot -.7 exposure comp all of the time, so between that and some brackets,
I think I'm with you.  I believe I often prefer a little more brightness
and "out in the sun" feeling to the light than you.  Some highlights that
go off the grid are often OK to me.

> The other thing you might try is HR Mode. It's not clear just what they
> are doing in the Hand Held version. In the
> tripod version, each pixel is exposed through each of the color filters,
> so no demosaicing, no color interpolation. The
> same effect as Foveon sensors, accomplished differently.

I was about to give HR and looksee this weekend.

> At least in earlier bodies with HR, color is more accurate. Again, earlier
> body, but handling of edge of gamut
> highlights was much better, too.
>
> >    I cannot fake that
> > delicate balance in PP.  Either I catch it at the shutter or I don't.
> Your
> > lily, if that's what it is, is not really the kind of yellow I'm
> referring
> > to, but it reminded me of it,
>
> It's actually quite a bright, saturated yellow, but shot in shade.
>
> > and the whole feeling of light in your photo is very lovely.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mojo admission. The background was treated to lower brightness and
> contrast and Gaussian blurred. It just makes the
> subject stand out. So, some of the light you admire is creative.

I assumed the feeling was based on an impression rather than on something
representative.  The background greens I often desaturate just a little to
get something of the same effect.   I haven't ever used Gaussian blur for
backgrounds.   I just never think of it when I'm squirming in my computer
chair.  If I had one criticism that I could offer you, it is that sometimes
in rare cases the feeling of light is wrong to my eyes, like something
sunlit during an eclipse.  But your yellow lily really works for me (and
certainly anything else I've seen lately).

The pitcher plants I also just posted had the same treatment, but with a
> gradient mask, so blurring varies with depth,
> giving a natural DoF look.
>
> Red Channel Moose

Because people react to the red channel differently, I generally glance at
the red channel hystericalogram.  The E-5 handles red pretty well -- I like
it anyway -- and it goes right up to the edge.  The EM-1iii is a little
more aggressive in keeping a hold of it.  Most of the time, there is very
little to do in post for me.  Topaz gets a good rest unless I'm working
with a significant crop.  -.7 exp comp gets me what I want almost all of
the time other than a little tinkering with levels.

In other EM-1iii news, I put the camera on tripod to do a focus stack
yesterday and forgot to turn off IS.  A stack of 15, which must take at
least 15 secs, was worse than handheld, and not by a little.  It was
unusable, a total failure.  An indirect testament to the effectiveness of
the camera's IS perhaps.

I love focus peaking in manual mode, but I wish it lingered a bit as I
usually pause, and possibly move, a little before pressing the shutter.
This is a habit of self-steadying from working with SLRs.  I think it is
why I am getting better shots at the moment in P mode with focus on the
shutter button.  I'm also falling in love with the joystick to move the
focus point around.

Joel W.