Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!

Subject: Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 02:42:36 +1030
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 07:18:27AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

>      The US Robotics 5633 modem I bought for usage for Linux worked
> out so well with WinXP that I bought another one.  I seem to be getting
> slightly faster connection speeds, which does not surprise me much as it
> was made back in the day when dialup was all that was available, so good
> performance sold product.

USR made *REALLY GOOD* modems, but we didn't see them down under until
the early 2000s, because our telecom standards were VERY stringent. The
local equivalent was Dataplex - I rolled out a lot of these, both
standalone  and rack card types (for ISPs). By the time V.90 came out
though, local standards had relaxed a lot and DPX seemed to fade from
the market, replaced with USR & NetComm (and that <brand name omitted>
softmodem cr@p we've been fighting with!). I still have standalone
NetComm and USR modems to hand *just in case*, much to my long suffering
partner's chagrin.

>      I have one Win7 machine fully up and
> running, and a second one is on hold as it needs more RAM as 512M simply
> isn't enough.  The earlier Win7 HD that crashed ran fine with 1G, and
> the new Win7 machine has the maximum of 2G.  I can buy new 2G RAM (a
> pair of 1G cards) for less than $US10, and it should be here on Tuesday.

I'd suggest you find the biggest sticks it will take and fill it up. Now
(before it is made of Unobtanium). As much RAM as you can fit in is the
secret I reckon  :)  A few years back, my old Dell Precision (running
XP) got a new lease of life (for a while anyway) when I upgraded from
512M to 1G... but it now takes minutes to boot (didn't make much of a
difference when booted in FreeBSD, though - even now it's still up in
about 30 seconds and very usable!). Watch out for the 'single sided' and
'double sided' RAM debacle, though, that's VERY annoying.

>      Microsoft may already be pulling support for Win7.  I had to go
> to Oldapps.com to get the installation package for IE10.  I can run IE10
> on Win7 with just 512M of RAM, but not Firefox 51.

Don't gauge support for the OS by the browser,  IE11 is the current W7
browser offering,  IE10 is deprecated and not all that safe to use any
more.  I trust you are loading the latest OS service packs and updates.
Without those, you just about may as well keep using XP.

davidt