[OM] Who is watching the watchers? [was Win7 Is Us!]

Subject: [OM] Who is watching the watchers? [was Win7 Is Us!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:45:15 -0700
On 3/21/2017 8:30 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I'm taking a couple of cybercrime/cybersecurity classes right now and
a thought keeps coming up:

"Who is watching the watchers?"

This question arose in my mind as I read yet again about how we should be using
a VPNs on our phones. Most particularly,
VPN Unlimited is now offering "Lifetime" subscriptions for $39.

I assume that not to be my lifetime, or that of my devices, but of the company, which I would now expect to be short. (A sort of Ponzi scheme?)

I can certainly see a scenario where the lifetime commitments are slowly sinking the ship, but they don't feel like throwing in the towel quite yet. But wait! They have a valuable asset, the content of all that traffic they are handling. OOPS!!

Sounds likely to be more dangerous than just taking one's chances, no?

Skeptic Moose