Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!

Subject: Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 13:59:58 -0700
On 3/25/2017 10:42 PM, David Thatcher wrote:
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 09:28:15PM -0700, Moose wrote:
You assume that the information is not already available to all but
inept bad guys.
This was not directly aimed at any individual (sorry if it came across
like that),

No Worries.

but at the general attitude that e-mail is private, and it
just isn't.

Part of what I do involves anti-SPAM and anti-virus maintenance as part
of firewall support.

Certain e-mail and hosting providers just seem to be too stupid to
breathe, they don't make an effort to prevent their reputations being
dragged into the mud by their clients dishonesty or inability to be
security conscious, and their own poor security. Server hacks occur
daily.

The sheer number of BIG businesses that are using these cloud-based
e-mail and storage services is staggering.

Disturbing. My ex employer is wildly security careful. I can't even send the executables of work I do for them through their email wall. Even their secure mail facility that I have to log in to won't pass them. I have to send them to the guy I work for at his home account. I imagine him furtively going in to work with a flash card hidden in a heel. :-)

I once did some consulting for a company that had an externally hosted
website that claimed 128-bit SSL security for taking the customer's CC
details, and then promptly e-mailed them (over the internet) to the
finance people in plain text. Insane.

We will always have them among us.

I spread my risk, with CCs from several different bank/institutions, bank accounts at one mega bank and one tiny, local one. I have no CCs on the small bank and none on the different yet institution with my retirement accounts and largest savings acct. I don't imagine my financial security to be perfect, but I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the other guy. :-P

Not Sorry Moose