Re: [OM] Computer Suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Suggestions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:09:39 -0500
Your question caused me to ask what I would do myself in the future while traveling. Microsoft has turned me away from Windows 10 so a new Windows computer or tablet of any brand would not be on my shopping list. I and 4 other volunteers in our 450 home development provide free computer assistance to our residents. Win10 upgrades have worked OK for some but have been a serious disaster to many. We have advised all not to go there. Some have ignored the advice and paid a stiff price.

I've been paying a lot of attention lately to the specs on the iPad Pro. <http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/technology/> In case you aren't aware yet, Adobe has freebie (limited) versions of Photoshop and Lightroom available for iOS devices (iPads & iPhones). I think they'll be released for Android devices too but think those are not yet available. I don't really know the functional limitations but suspect they'll do whatever you require for downloading and reviewing your images (including raw conversion). You'll need a special (optional $30) Apple device for using the "Lightning" connector as a USB port to read your cards. I assume (but don't know) that that same device would allow use of an external USB drive. You don't want to be dependent on "the Cloud" when you have no idea of the cost or availability of internet service. Max memory on the iPad Pro is 128GB and you can also get cell service if desired.

Win 7 will be supported until 2020 and, if I'm still alive then I may have to become an Apple fan-boy. Maybe there's a Mac in my future as well as an iPad Pro. :-)

Chuck Norcutt