Re: [OM] Computer Suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 14:56:04 -0800
On 1/30/2016 2:09 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Your question caused me to ask what I would do myself in the future while traveling. Microsoft has turned me away from Windows 10 so a new Windows computer or tablet of any brand would not be on my shopping list. I and 4 other volunteers in our 450 home development provide free computer assistance to our residents. Win10 upgrades have worked OK for some but have been a serious disaster to many. We have advised all not to go there. Some have ignored the advice and paid a stiff price.

I have stuck to my own advice: never upgrade Windoze, but don't worry when the next machine has the latest OS. I didn't quite follow that for my current desktop, opting for Win7 over 8, but had a specific technical reason, the XP Virtual mode in Win7 Pro. I still need that and use it a lot.

I've been paying a lot of attention lately to the specs on the iPad Pro. <http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/technology/> In case you aren't aware yet, Adobe has freebie (limited) versions of Photoshop and Lightroom available for iOS devices (iPads & iPhones). I think they'll be released for Android devices too but think those are not yet available. I don't really know the functional limitations but suspect they'll do whatever you require for downloading and reviewing your images (including raw conversion). You'll need a special (optional $30) Apple device for using the "Lightning" connector as a USB port to read your cards. I assume (but don't know) that that same device would allow use of an external USB drive.

I haven't checked, but that is not true of the earlier models. If Steve J's demise has loosened up connectivity, that's nice, and the screen looks wonderful. However, there may still be another problem

And there was another problem. I tried going this general route, both with an Android tablet with SD card slot and with iPad and external WiFi connected storage. In both cases, the hardware and WiFi connection worked fine, but the software didn't. I could not, at that time, and I looked seriously, find a file manager for Android or iOS that allows the equivalent of clicking on one file, then Shift-clicking on another somewhere else on the list, to select them and everything in between. It was only select all or select individually. This is a tremendous pain in use for daily back-up copying to external media. I tried it, and couldn't stand it; painfully tedious. If one were to erase/format the card after each download, it would work fine, but I'm not interested in foregoing that extra copy of temp. B-U.

I simply gave up, and went on with using my now six + year old netbook+. It's all so easy. PIE downloads from the SD cards to directories and sub-directories the way I want and Syncback copies it to the external disk.

So there are three copies, on computer HD, external HD and SD cards, all in separate locations. Of course, the SD cards eventually get copied over, but with the size and number I have, that's quite a ways down the line, and they have by then gone on the image drive of my desktop and its separate back-up disk.

I would be looking for a touch screen and keyboard Win 10 tablet-ish thingie.
There seem to be several about.

You don't want to be dependent on "the Cloud" when you have no idea of the cost or availability of internet service.

YUP

Moose D'Back-Up