Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird, Then and Now

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird, Then and Now
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 20:30:32 -0800
On 1/6/2014 6:52 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Care to describe that?  Anything other than NR in the detail panel in
> Camera RAW?  Whenever I use that thing I can see little or no difference

I have not, as I recall, ever used the NR in ACR. Perhaps I experimented with
it long ago?

You, and many others, use ACR as your primary post processing tool, whether
directly or by means of the LR interface.

I almost never use any part of ACR other than WB and exposure adjustments on
the first tab. I did use the lens
correction tab with my Canons, but that's not even possible for µ4/3 lenses
without custom profiles, nor do they
generally need further correction.

My NR app of choice for some time has been NeatImage. I seem to think I've
heard that NR in PS has been improved(?), but
I've not tested it for a long time. I have NI profiles for my various cameras
and ISOs, although I not uncommonly fine
tune for a particular image.

Noise at base ISOs of contemporary DSLRs, ILCs and high end compacts is very
low. But if you look closely, it's there,
especially in shadows. It's really no problem at near full frame and/or with
minimal processing.

Pull up the shadows, sharpen, add some LCE, crop a bit, and "OH! Where did that
ugly noise/artifacts come from?"

If I think there's any chance at all I will be cropping and/or some fancy
dancin', the first thing I do in PS is NR,
often followed by initial deconvolution 'sharpening'. As NR has resharpening
settings, the balance between that and
FocusMagic is pretty much personal taste.

> but maybe that's because I try very hard to stay at base ISO.

That's a big help, but not always possible and not always enough. Good
technique and work flow is no less important in
the digital darkroom than in the wet darkroom.

Clean Fingers Moose