Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird, Then and Now

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird, Then and Now
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 22:01:41 -0800
On 1/4/2014 1:44 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> ...  However, the old lens still intrigues me.

As it does me. And waterhouse stops are merely inconvenient, not inferior. For
most purposes, a perfectly round aperture
is an advantage.

Many (most?) pre auto aperture lenses used many blades, to more closely
approximate a circle. My pre-set, screw mount
Zeiss Jena Tessar has 14, if I remember correctly. It was the advent of
mechanical auto aperture that led to the advent
of pentagonal highlights.

You may or may not have noticed the newer lenses with more aperture blades
and/or blades shaped to more closely
approximate a circle.

Gay Blades Moose