Re: [OM] Does software choice matter in producing image "quality" ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does software choice matter in producing image "quality" ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 21:00:41 -0500
Well, when I mentioned a RAW converter I never meant Fast Stone.  Fast
Stone only converts RAW files using unknown and unvariable parameters.
It totally defeats the reason for shooting RAW.  It would be better to
take the camera's JPEGs where one can at least control some of the
parameters.

I think Elements does some more things that RAW conversion using 16 bits
but getting documentation of that is difficult.  Adobe doesn't lay it
out on the sidewalk for you to find it.  But even it it's only 8 bits
after RAW conversion that's still pretty good.  I agree, Elements is
probably the best low cost tool.

Chuck Norcutt