Re: [OM] Sixteen What? [was Does software choice matter in producing ima

Subject: Re: [OM] Sixteen What? [was Does software choice matter in producing image "quality" ?]
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:54:35 -0500
Agreed. One of my gurus has a fixation on continuous tone images that borders
on psychosis. <g> Almost all of his prints feature, more than anything else,
continuous tones that flow seamlessly from color to color, light to dark, dark
to light. On a 40x60 print, it's, well, extremely agreeable.

Which is to say, processing wise, that to make agreeable prints, one must pay
attention to tonal qualities, gradations, etc. That's why the more bits when
processing, the better. FWIW, LR5 and I believe some earlier versions, supply
check boxes in the Print module for 16-bit output. This makes achieving tonal
"perfection" much easier.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Tone-Happy Neanderthal