Re: [OM] Does software choice matter in producing image "quality" ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does software choice matter in producing image "quality" ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:37:50 -0800
On 12/12/2013 6:00 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Well, when I mentioned a RAW converter I never meant Fast Stone.

I knew perfectly well what you meant. We are, however, proposing possible
improvements to the practices of someone
proudly using the oldest and cheapest computer equipment and software, and
apparently enamored of FastStone beyond its
area of competence.

> Fast
> Stone only converts RAW files using unknown and unvariable parameters.
> It totally defeats the reason for shooting RAW.  It would be better to
> take the camera's JPEGs where one can at least control some of the
> parameters.

As I said.

> I think Elements does some more things that RAW conversion using 16 bits
> but getting documentation of that is difficult.  Adobe doesn't lay it
> out on the sidewalk for you to find it.

Yes, it does, but I was too lazy/uninterested to investigate further.

Jim says it is 16 bit right through, which would be quite good. OTOH, I've read
that some operations are 8 bit only.

> But even it it's only 8 bits after RAW conversion that's still pretty good.
> I agree, Elements is probably the best low cost tool.

Although with fewer options, it has the main features of ACR, likely the
overall best Raw converter. That's worth a lot.
Despite my objections (well, antipathy), LR is probably an even better bet,
albeit slightly more expensive.

Raw Tamer Moose