Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:05:20 -0800
On 11/9/2012 12:02 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> But with digital you no longer need the sophisticated color filtration
> control that made the Beseler expensive.  Any ordinary slide duplicator,
> macro lens and an electronic flash will do what you need with any final
> color adjustment work handled via digital post processing.

Nevertheless, "For hundreds of thousands of slides, doing each one in the
camera is hard to think about!", I think it's
a poor solution.

I have done this with an Oly Slide Copier on Oly Auto Bellows. It's a nice
set-up, with a slot into which one drops the
slide. The slot is wide enough to be easy to use, but with springs that hold
each slide in place against the back.

And yet, after only a few slides, I could see that handling each slide
individually was going to get old really fast.
One can go through a stack faster than a scanner, as each exposure is brief,
but it's a quite labor intensive job. I can
just tell that repetitive motion is going to be a problem. Maybe if one could
hire someone to do the feeding?

Also, I would not use flash, having it go off right next to me over and over
and over again would be awful. I used one
of those inexpensive, 4x5" light 'tables'. Much easier on my eyes in any case,
and one may mask it to just the needed
area, so there' no glare.

A scanner with auto feeder would be far preferable. The total capture time
would be longer, but one need not be present
while it's going on. Load a stack, go away and get on with one's life, and come
back after it's done to load another stack.

The other, possibly big deal for me is dust removal. Both VueScan and
Silverfast claim to have found ways to use IR dust
recognition and removal on Kodachrome. Although I briefly tried the Polaroid
dust removal software Tina told us about,
I've done no careful testing, nor have I yet tested the VS Kodachrome IR dust
removal.

I find it hard to believe a pure software solution would be as good and
consistent as the IR, but I don't really know.

Auto Scan Moose