Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:40:15 -0800
On 11/10/2012 6:40 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> The difference in using a bulk slide loader, which can do about 20 slides
> an hour set on multiple exposures, and putting each one in a slide
> duplicator is that I can go off and hang wallpaper while the bulk scanner
> works.  WIth the duplicator, I have to be right there all the time.

Have you tested to determine that multiple exposures and HDR are really
necessary? I don't think my Canon FS4000 is
supposed to have any more DR than your Nikon, possibly/probably less. I can't
find any more DR with multiple exposures
than one properly exposed one. Just because hardware and software provide a
capability doesn't mean it will improve
anything in a specific application.

I did find that multiple passes could extract a tiny bit more detail on very
fine grained color neg film, but I doubt it
would do so on older KR. Doesn't make any practical difference, anyway.

Scanning might only require two passes, RGB and IR. If you are doing more, that
would speed up your process.

This image may even provide a practical example. Whatever processing it has
been through, there is a little highest tone
detail, cloud shapes, upper right, not visible in the image as posted. There is
also quite a bit of tonal detail in the
deepest shadows not visible in the post, tree, upper left.
<cid:part1.07080806.01090403@gmail.com>

Also, just a little lift in the middle really opens it up, to my eye.

So it seems possible that you are doing multiple exposure HDR to compensate for
another part of processing.

Open Up Moose