Re: [OM] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:02:45 -0800
On 11/10/2012 5:38 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I guess I didn't make myself very clear.  The errors I spoke of on
> trying to run 32 bit CS6 on Win7 were PhotoShop error messages long
> before getting to filters.

The one I was getting came up on the opening splash screen, probably when it
says "Searching for Plug-ins" in the small
print. It would seem that when it adds a plug-in, it checks for and/or loads
any auxiliary parts of the executable,
probably to avoid errors and possible crashes later, when the filter is invoked.

> I'll have to do a re-install I'm sure since
> something is quite wrong with the installation.  Not being able to load
> the C++ libraries is pretty fundamental.  There were two other error
> messages having to do with missing support modules for my AMD 4-core
> processor.

Yup, more fun with installation. :-(

> I didn't think I had an installer but I did... lost in a folder of a
> different name.  I had run into the scratchremoval.dll error trying to
> run the stand-alone version but knew that I could find it in System32.
> Sorry, but that happened early enough this morning that I had forgotten
> that.  But I did get the stand-alone version running without using the
> installer just by copying the scratchremoval.dll.  I haven't found a
> registry entry for it after running the installer.  But if it was there
> it probably just shortens the search.  I suspect any unresolved DLL call
> will check System32 since lots of apps put their DLLs there.

You'd think. In my case just copying files, including the dll, neither stand
alone nor plug-in worked. Both did after
running the installer. Who knows?

> And I was mistaken that the plug-in wasn't running on CS6-32.  Despite
> PhotoShop's startup error messages it does seem to run.  I had a number
> of other problems getting filters to work this morning and it was really
> CS6-64 that was causing me problems by not displaying filters I had put
> there by copying from CS5.  Probably because they're 8 bit only.

Right, it neither loads nor displays 8-bit plug-ins. A pretty barren Filters
Menu drop down.

Filtered Moose