Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal To

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:04:36 -0800
On 11/12/2012 7:42 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  Actually, I have that book on my Kindle Fire.  I never
> completely read it and it had worked its way to the bottom of the pile.
>    Thanks to your mention it has been found again.
>
> I have just installed PSCS6 in the last week and it hasn't done any work
> yet let alone run the scanner.  I think the problem you mention with WIA
> access from PS to the scanner may also be in CS5.  I recall trying to
> scan something and the scanner wasn't found.

Yes, they stopped including it with 5. All explained here.
<http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html>

> ...  I have not made any serious use of VueScan with
> the Epson V700

I use my Canon 9950F flatbed for scanning various text, music, drawings,
printed images, and so on. The TWAIN driver is
pretty darn good for that. I tend to call it up with the PS Import command, as
it is then in PS for any editing.

I don't know how I managed to write some stuff in such incredibly light pencil
as I wanted to decipher today. How could
I have seen what I was writing? Pencil doesn't fade, does it? In any case, the
Canon TWAIN driver controls did just what
I wanted to bring it up. I never even scanned it, just read it off the preview
scan on screen.

Today's discussion led me to try VS on it. The range of adjustments, more than
adequate for any image, just didn't do
what I wanted. I can start the TWAIN driver from a Canon Toolbox, it's just
more convenient to access it from PS.

> since I was never able to get it to recognize the grid
> arrangement of the film holders.  That's really why I bought the VueScan
> Bible hoping I'll find the answer in there.

The answer is to use the settings advised in the User's Guide or the TVSB and
if they don't work, drop Ed a line,
including a link to an example, if possible. I had to do that once. He changed
it.

> But I have been fairly well
> satisfied with Epson Scan when used in its "professional" mode.  It's
> certainly easier to use than VueScan but, of course, doesn't do "raw" scans.

I couldn't find a way to keep Canon's software from excess contrast and
clipping on slides. I should probably try again ...

Scan It To Me Moose