Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal To

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool,
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:49:20 -0800
On 11/12/2012 4:55 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> V. S. Moose writes:
>> I found that PSCS6 didn't find my scanners under File=>Import, and finally
>> looked it up in Adobe online help.
> Link??? for future reference, por favor?

It covers PSCS4 through 6. In answer to Chuck's comment, ti says the plug-in
was installed up through 4.
<http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html>

> Does picking the emulsion in VS do "soft profiling" like SF i.e. allow
> profiling for the scanner light , emulsion base

They are fixed settings, correcting for emulsion base, but not the scanner, how
could they? They are old. As far as I
know none have been added for ages. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation
of just what they do.

They certainly do a good job of correcting for the orange masks of CN films.But
how could one tell is they add other
correction(s)? There is no positive original to which to compare them. OTOH, as
the comparisons I just posted show,
there is a great difference between scans with just the built-in emulsion
choices and scans with full ICC profile.

One thing I've noticed is that one should know which emulsion had been chosen
when the IT8 shot was scanned, and use the
same one when using the resultant ICC profile for scanning. For slide film,
even more so if the ICC profile may be used
with the same scanner, but different software, I suggest Slide vendor: GENERIC,
Slide Brand: COLOR.

>   but not ablate the
> spectral sensitivity and thus "look" of the film? Sometimes scanning an
> IT8 target or "hard profiling "result mixed in a layer with the former
> would seem to be just the ticket--taming some of the excesses but not
> totally destroying the "look."

A nice idea, but not practical with more recent emulsions, as they are not in
the selection.

Just to confuse matters a bit more, The VueScan Bible says, on p. 134,

"By default, VueScan detects the base color of the film automatically, but here
you can configure it. This is helpful
when you are scanning a complete roll of film at one go. It is less helpful
when your originals are from different film
rolls. Even if you have different films of the same type, they can have
different base colors. For example, factors like
development, aging, and storage can change base color."

If true, then choice of emulsion would be unnecessary, and overridden, unless
film base color is locked on the Input
tab. But I thought that locking it there ...  The interaction of the various
exposure lock options on the Input tab and
the Film base color settings on the Color Tab seem complex/confusing to me -
unless the film emulsion settings are now
redundant.

Anyway, it sounds like some more reading and experimenting may be called for,
to really know what's happening. OTOH,
just setting things the way I've been doing gives me good results.

> I am not sure, but don't think even the
> new version SF allows one to scan a picture of a target with taken with
> the film as Vuescan does. It seems to allow one to shoot a target but
> then totally correct the image for the film, scanner, light etc for
> totally neutral rendition---that is a horse of a different color
> entirely.

I would simply go ahead an scan as you have done before, with and without ICC
profile, stack the profile version on top
and vary opacity to taste. Worrying about exact details when you are adjusting
by eye in the end seems unnecessary to me.

Scan Me Moose