[OM] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: [OM] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:18:38 -0500
I've had Polaroid DSR stashed away for many years now.  I have used it a
few times both as stand-alone and PS plug-in.  It used to be highly
touted as an excellent dust and scratch removal tool but, however good
it might be, it's just software.  Nowhere near as good as the infra-red
channel in your scanner.  I'll admit that I probably never learned to
use it properly but I never did have much luck with it.  If the dust and
scratches were removed so was the image detail.  If you're not careful
you might not recognize the image afterward. :-)

I am in the process of setting up a Win7 64 bit system so I copied
PolaDSR over from my XP system, installed it in the Program Files (x86)
folder, started it up and the stand-alone version runs OK.  Not bad for
something that was created about 10 years ago... maybe even for Win98.
It also has a 32 bit PS plug-in filter but my 32 bit version of
PhotoShop CS6 doesn't show it.  Whether that's a problem with the
plug-in or with PhotoShop I don't know.  When I installed PhotoShop I
told it to install both 32 and 64 bit versions.  The 32 bit version of
PhotoShop generates 3 different errors saying it's unable to load the
C++ libraries and various other things.  So I can't say for sure whether
the PolaDSR plug-in works or not in CS6.  It does work in CS5 on XP for
32 bit.

I you'd like to try it I'll be happy to send anyone a copy via email.
The zip file is 436 KB.  There is no installer for it.  Just create a
folder for the application files after you unzip them and create a
shortcut on the desktop pointing to the PolaDSR.exe file.  Copy the
PolaDSR.8BF file to the PhotoShop plug-ins/filters file to use the
plug-in with PS.  Good luck!

Chuck Norcutt