Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:22:53 -0800
On 11/8/2012 2:53 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  Most of the Guatemalan people that I'm photographing do
> have very coarse, sunburned skin from spending their lives outside in the
> brutal Central American sun.  The main problems we see in the clinics are
> skin problems, eye problems - cataracts, also from the sun, respiratory
> problems from the smoke in their houses, and indigestion from their diets.
>   Skin problems are probably #1.
>
> You can see some of it here in another in-camera scan:
> http://www.pbase.com/image/147221931

One can see the effects of the sun, but it isn't scabrous and deeply mottled
looking, at least to my eye. And the color
just looks so much more natural.

> I'm still working on the Kodachrome and have upgraded to the latest
> Silverfast, version 8.  It's got a steep learning curve!

Not for nothing do they have their Workflow Pilot "an essential core element of
SilverFast 8. This novel feature, which
guides the user as a kind of wizard in the correct order through all processing
steps required for his individual
workflow, is unique in the world."

That makes what doesn't seem to need to be so complex sound scarily so.

> I do have the KC target and am working with that.

When I last checked, I found that SF required a second program to convert the
linear (very dark looking) output from
SF/scanner into gamma corrected (correct brightness and contrast) files. I
don't see that now, and see that they are
selling 'Suites' for archiving use, so maybe they have simplified things.

But if you are still getting the very dark looking files, there' is apiece
missing from your software and/or workflow.

> I would much prefer to use the scanner instead of the camera.  For hundreds
> of thousands of slides, doing each one in the camera is hard to think about!

No kidding!!

Work Minimalist Moose