Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:03:42 -0700
On 8/15/2012 5:42 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I'm glad this stuff seems to work for you but have a hard time believing
> that the "program accelerator" makes much of a difference

I was careful to say that I have no way of knowing how well it may work, I
don't have comparison systems and don't time
programs before and after. I run it once in a while, and consider it a
prophylactic measure unlikely to cause any harm.

>   assuming that the hard drive was not already badly defragmented when the
> software was installed.

For whom is this a realistic assumption? My poor little 250GB primary drive has
had endless software installed,
uninstalled, updated, etc. and has become so full occasionally that Windoze has
warned me and/or a program has said
there is not enough room for it's cache or to save a file.

Camera files are on an internal 1.5 TB drive, files from scanning on an
external 500 GB drive, video, music and ebook
files on yet another 500 GB drive* - and still the primary drive gets full. :-)

> I'm impressed with "memory mechanic" if it does as you claim.

The 'if' is interesting. I assure you my reporting is an accurate reflection of
experience repeated many times.

> I certainly understand memory leaks but don't know how it can locate and
> relate lost memory to a particular process.

I have no idea how it does so.

> It would seem that the OS should have done the same when the process ended.

The world is, and has been, at least since the advent of written records, full
of people, institutions and processes
(human, mechanical and electronic) that "should have done" many many things -
but didn't, or did them poorly.

All I can say is that on my system (32 bit, 3 GB available to Winzdoze and
programs) PS, after intensive use, starts
really slowing down. Things that just 'happened' start popping up the green
snake progress bar and things that had a
relatively speedy green snake get slower and sloooower. Close PS, run MM, open
PS, and all is normal again.

My report is entirely experiential, no theory. Any theory that disagrees is
wrong. :-)

Drive Crazy Moose

* Then there are the backup drives...