Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:03:05 -0700
On 8/14/2012 5:01 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> But even with FAT32 defrag will never make significant performance gains
> unless the space has previously been completely filled.  If the system
> has a large drive that's never been filled up defrag has nothing to do.

You are making a big deal about this. For me, that's like saying that my shoes
will never get scuffed - unless I wear
them. :-)

On a (possibly) more interesting note, I use system Mechanic for several
maintenance things. It has many tools, some
quite good, and some not as much so.

Although it has a defragger*, their automated speed-up process relies on a
'Program Accelerator', which is supposed to
"Re-align programs and their dependent files on the hard drive to speed up
program launch time and overall responsiveness."

They've also just added 'AcceleWrite', which they claim does an even better job
of assuring that files aren't written or
changed with fragmentation by real time management of writing.

I have no idea if all this improves things. I have nothing to compare to. I do
know that my disk has been almost
completely full several times.

Their tool that I use most is 'Memory Mechanic', a different kind of defragger,
for RAM. It's clear that at least PS,
and likely other programs I use, have imperfect memory use habits. Intensive
use of PS with large files, lots of layers,
etc. eventually starts to show obvious, significant slow downs of various
functions.

If I close PS and any other programs I don't need at the moment, run Memory
Mechanic and restart PS, all is back to
normal again. MM will say it has recovered 5-8% of memory, which doesn't sound
like much, but however it reorganizes
memory use really helps. (No, just quitting and restarting PS does not have the
same effect.) (Yes, it's much quicker
than restarting windoze.)

Shod Moose

* An odd word, with other possible meanings.