Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:46:15 -0400
Somewhere in this chain of defrag/performance things I questioned
whether it was still possible (in addition to defragging) to physically
relocate files to specific areas of the disk where seek times might be
minimized or sequential data access might be maximized. The reason had
to do with Logical Block Addressing (LBA) and, in particular, LBA in
combination with zoned bit recording which divides the disc into zones
where the number of sectors per track varies with radius.

This was relevant to Brian's comment that he had paid his computer guy
to defrag his computer using a utility that also relocates some Windows
files and the page file to areas of the disk where performance is
improved.  Based on the link from Mike below, actual performance testing
of defragged drives tends to produce little or no benefit.  However, I
acceded to Brian that optimally positioning some files (especially the
page file) might improve performance if it could be done on today's LBA
drives with zoned bit recording.  I still haven't found a complete
description of how such a translation can be done (LBA yes, zoned bit
recording no) but now have little doubt that it can be.  Brian says his
computer's performance has been significantly improved in the past so
I'll accept that it has.  But I'll also add that the only review that I
could find of the same software pans it as useless and a waste of money.
  Who knows?  What I do know is that after running this machine for the
past 6 years Windows shows me a disk structure with large seqeantial
areas of unallocated space and does not recommend that the disk be
defragged since performance will not be significantly improved.

Chuck Norcutt