Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--Favorite Defrag Program?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 23:19:03 +1200
Chuck wrote

> Brian says his
> computer's performance has been significantly improved in the past so I'll
> accept that it has.  But I'll also add that the only review that I could
> find of the same software pans it as useless and a waste of money.
>   Who knows?  What I do know is that after running this machine for the

My computer tech said
> The defrag program is Paragon total defrag from a boot cd. The fact that
> it deletes 2 windows files and then recreates them after the defrag and
> places the page file in the centre of the disk is why the program makes a
> difference to the speed.

If I saw the same review as Chuck did, I wish to point out that (as I
remember) the reason they marked it low was that Paragon do not
recommend running their defrag program while you are using the computer
for whatever you use a computer for. I found only one review.

When I saw that I thought it was (and is) a pretty thick remark (or a remark
made by a pretty thick person). There's NO way I would expect a computer
to do such an intensive job as re-organising my important files while it was
doing complicated maths,  ... the risk of losing data could be too great.

I also noted that the review did NOT comment on the quality  of the defrag
work ... which makes me suspect that they  did not test it adequately.

Consequently, and acknowledging the significant working experience of the
guy I paid to "do" my machine (not for the first time for one reason or
another) I hasten to add - I've been using him for about 30+ years -  I
panned their review as being worthless.

Brian (One pan is as good as another when you're after gold)  Swale ..