Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Food

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Food
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:42:29 +0100
Moose and Tina are both right, but I don't agree entirely with my
fellow-countryman Chris, who has slipped a syllogism into his argument!

I favour the following explanation from Wikipedia:

"The term 'preserves' is usually interchangeable with 'jam'. Some cookbooks
define preserves as cooked and gelled whole fruit (or vegetable), which
includes a significant portion of the fruit.

The terms 'jam' and 'jelly' are used in different parts of the
English-speaking world in different ways. In the United States, both jam and
jelly are sometimes popularly referred to as 'jelly', whereas in the United
Kingdom, Canada, India and Australia, the two terms are more strictly
differentiated. In Australia and South Africa, the term 'jam' is more
popularly used as a generic term for both jam and jelly.

To further confuse the issue, the term 'jelly' is also used in the UK, South
Africa, Australia, India and New Zealand to refer to a gelatin dessert,
known in North America as 'jello', derived from the brand name Jell-O. "

And I could adduce by way of example the blackcurrant jelly I made as if a
jam before passing it through a jelly bag (whose name should give you a
clue), which is made of muslin and filters out the pulp to leave a (drum
roll) blackcurrant jelly which had no gelatine, and is intended to be
consumed as a jam. Shame the list won't accept attachments, but here's a UK
source for the bag:
<http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/kitchen-craft-preserving-straining-bag/
product/>

You aren't that far from Histon, Chris, pop into Hartley's factory to check!
(Are we quits yet, or do I have to send you a sample - last year's was a
bumper crop)?

;-)

Piers