Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Food

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Food
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:42:37 -0700
On 7/19/2012 10:05 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Looks good, Tina.
>
> But here's a question, what's the difference, for Americans, between a jelly
> and a jam?  Remember that all preserves for us are jams (except marmalade),
> and all jellies are children's sweet concoctions based on gelatine.

I come from a line of home canners, and the difference is obvious. Both use
pectin, whether only natural or including
added pectin. Jam includes solids, jelly doesn't. A properly made jelly is rich
and full flavored, not just overly sweet
junk.

> I still remember going to lunch parties in Florida and being presented with a
> plate with jello added to all manner of savoury items -- not my favourite
> mixture :-)

Yup, an affliction of many less enlightened parts of our great country. :-)
The likelihood of encountering it seems to
me positively related to the local density of American flags on display in the
area, to relate to another thread.

Well Set Moose