Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:33:57 -0700
On 7/19/2012 4:19 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> 2400 dpi is about 50 lines/mm.  That's about the max that typical
> photographer's get unless on a tripod and using very careful technique.
>    So I don't think you can say that the scanner's resolution tops out at
> 2400 dpi... that's about the max that most photographers are likely to
> feed it.  If the scanner resolves that its own resolution is better than
> that.

I have two different scanners, Canon FS4000 film scanner and 9950F flatbed, but
I believe, based on reviews, that the
basic issues are the same.

What you say seems overly stringent, based on my experience. The 9950F has
nominal max, resolution of 4,800 dpi. It
clearly can't resolve as much detail as the dedicated, 4000 dpi film scanner.

Decent lens, shutter speed, focus, film, etc. gives film where the difference
is obvious. Multi pass scanning also
increases FS4000 detail resolution of good film. It doesn't seem to me to only
reduce apparent grain, but to reveal
extra true detail. I think 2400 is just too low, I'm getting more than that. My
guess was that the flatbed runs around
3000-3200 dpi, compared to the 4000 of the FS4000.

I certainly have film that resolves less than 2400 dpi, but also film that well
exceeds it handheld.  OTH, most 6x9 negs
from my dad's old Kodak folder don't have any detail beyond what a 600 dpi scan
captures.

To those who complain about false advertising/specs on flatbed scanners: I
wonder what they 'should' use. The hardware
does indeed scan at the high dpi stated, but system/mechanical/optical/whatever
factors mean the scan doesn't resolve
that level of detail.

It's never been clear to me why the Canon scanners didn't catch on. Both have
greater DOF than their Nikon/Minolta/Epson
competitors, and thus none of the fussy focusing issues. It was partly those
issues with the V700 series that led me to
find a clean used example of the already discontinued 9950F. The Photo-i
reviews made it clear they have about the same
effective resolution, and Canon doesn't have focus issues.

Focusing Moose