Re: [OM] A Different Flight of Fancy - Welcome back into the fold?

Subject: Re: [OM] A Different Flight of Fancy - Welcome back into the fold?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:07:23 -0700
On 7/19/2012 5:25 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Wow,
> I was wondering if this Oly offering wouldn't catch your eye. The T1/2
> of your APS-c venture wasn't all that long.

Ah well, one never knows what the future will bring. I didn't mean to be one of
those folks who change cameras all the
time. OTH, I can let the scorn of the AG crowd wash over me without damage. The
5D was 5 years as primary body. The 60D
will have been 16 mo. and 7,000+ shots. That is - IF - the OM-d pans out for me.

I can't say I'm sorry about buying the 60D. I've enjoyed it a great deal,
captured some great images and learned a lot.
If I recognize that web display and ordinary size prints are all I'm likely to
create, I have to say it's IQ is more
than sufficient. But I have a bit of Pixel OCD and was spoiled by the pixel
level IQ of the 5D.

High ISO IQ and DR are what I expected, but not quite what I would like ...
Articulated screen and movie mode have been
wonderful additions.

I never found just the lens combo I wanted. I am deeply hooked on wide FL range
zooms. A great deal of my photography is
done out in nature, generally while on the move, where my eye may catch a
semi-macro, then a WA landscape, then a detail
at some distance. If a couple of lens changes are needed, at least one shot
gets missed.The Tammy 28-300s are really
good for that style, and well matched to FF. The Tammy 18-270 for smaller
sensors is a terrific range, but with it's
greater range, seems to have more of the optical compromises - especially for
close-ups.

What I ended up with for APS was the FF eq. of 16-35 and 45-480. The gap wasn't
much of a problem, but the need to
change lenses for anything wider than 'standard' AOV bugged me a little. And I
couldn't seem find a better solution to
fit my needs better. Funny, what with all the EF mount lenses out there, but
true.

Although the live view works very well, it also has its faults, in common with
LV on all other mirror SLRs. One has to
intentionally decide to change modes, which takes a few moments, and the
focusing choices are not ideal, slow and
accurate or relatively quick, but involving blackout and noise. It lends itself
pretty much only to tripod work.

The DR is pretty good, but often pushed to the limit in the field. Exposing to
the right and the extended highlight mode
worked pretty well, but deep shadow pulled up has noise and artifact problems,
especially at higher ISOs.

So, no bad surprises, the compromises were what I expected.

> ... No grip purchased?

Part of the point of this kit is small and light. At about the size of an OM
and with a shallow built-in front grip, I'm
hoping it fits my needs. I never had any trouble with gripping OMs and it will
have the addition of a hand strap. The
grip is expensive and I can't see as yet any need for making the whole package
so much larger and heavier. I hated the
battery grip on the old D60 I borrowed for a few days long ago.

> I am still surprised Oly doesn't encode CA corrrection into the files
> yet. The CA in the corners on the wide end for the 12-50  as mentioned
> by Jeff is visible.

I think the whole idea of relaxing certain lens design criteria in favor of
firm/software correction is less ideal than
many people think. Correction of significant barrel distortion at the wide end
has an effect on resolution. Although I
knew this was true intellectually, I was surprised at the extend of effect on
one image I was working on months ago.
There was detail in a corner that was rather well resolved. After correction,
it was unrecognizable for what it was.

I generally avoid linear distortion correction where it won't be noticeable,
which includes a majority of my subjects. I
will be interested to see how such correction cooked for a particular sensor
works. CA correction is another pot of
eels. Correction mainly improves detail.

> Perhaps there is a quick fix or the DXO module is due out within a week .

ACR will do it, either manually or as part of a lens profile.

> The 12-50 may be the only lens where the sensor readout is 240 fps for
> continous AF mode though reverts back to 120 for more accuracy in other modes.

I'm far more interested in accuracy.

> There is a rumor of poor reliability that an Oly M. 12-60 may annnounced this
> Fall.

That will have to be quite an extensive redesign, to be of interest. It's big
and heavy; with adapter, it is:

               Dia.     Len.*     Wgt.
4/3  12-60   88 mm    108 mm    575 g + adapter weight
µ4/3 12-50   57 mm     83 mm    211 g

* 12-60 extends when zoomed, 12-50 does not.

> The increasing third  party support for MFT is also encouraging.
>
> I have kept track of a few threads on FM and the menus are indeed
> confusing. Some of the procedures to engage fxn's just have to be
> figured out--have press to engage for some? I briefly looked at the
> manual and couldn't  discern the solution.  If the menu/manual are the
> major faults/that really isn't that bad. Once all is figured out it
> almost becomes a moot issue.

I'm sure hoping that is true! I hope I don't need a cheat sheet to carry around.

> I was intrigued and vaguely discomfitted by how well the files held up to the
> OM5DII.

Yep. I wouldn't be getting one, were that not the case.

> I will keep a FF dig home for OM lenses (as well as using them on OM cams of
> course) for many moons but a small kit replacement is in order. Just got
> another nudge.

If the Oly kit works out, the 60D, 10-22 and a couple of bits can go. I plan to
keep the 5D for FF with OM lenses and
accessories.

> Your stream of conciousness pros and cons are of interest.

I'm starting a list. :-)

Fatted Calf BBQ Moose