Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:19:38 -0400
2400 dpi is about 50 lines/mm.  That's about the max that typical
photographer's get unless on a tripod and using very careful technique.
  So I don't think you can say that the scanner's resolution tops out at
2400 dpi... that's about the max that most photographers are likely to
feed it.  If the scanner resolves that its own resolution is better than
that.

If you have B&W tech pan shot on a heavy duty tripod in a studio then
look for more than 2400 dpi.  Lacking that you can scan at higher
resolution looking to avoid (as Ken says) grain aliasing but don't
expect any real higher resolution results.  And the problem is not with
the scanner or film or lens.  The "system" resolution is never higher
than the minimum provided by each player.  And remember that *you* are a
key part of the system.  If your scans show no better than 2400 dpi then
go look in the mirror for the problem.

Chuck Norcutt