Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:33:11 -0400
I wasn't talking about your specific results, only pointing out that
most photos end up with less than 50 lines/mm based on the
photographer's technique and environmental factors such as subject
motion, wind, vibration... not the film, lens or camera.  Capturing that
much is actually difficult. 30-40 lines/mm would be more typical of hand
held work.  If you check some of Modern Photos lab test resolution
results you will find the Zuiko 24/2.8 hitting 80 lines/mm at f/5.6 but
only 50 at f/2.8 and 63 at f/16.  The Zuiko 135/2.8 ranges from 45 to a
max of 56 at f/8-11.  The Nikkor 28/2.8 gets from 48-60.  And that's in
the lab with a high resolution target and high resolution film on a very
heavy duty support.

Also, you can't actually say that your own photography is producing more
than 2400 dpi (47 lines/mm).  You can only say that the film scanner
outperforms the flat bed (which is claimed to have higher resolution).
The actual resolution of either device and the film you're scanning is
unknown to you without specific resolution based testing.

Chuck Norcutt