Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:43:27 +0200
Hi Joel,

Well, marketing departments can pretty much get away with anything. But
the scanner, like any camera system, is a whole chain of components that
have to work together, and while some aspects of that imaging chain in
the Epson might indeed achieve 6400 DPI, we're just saying that, based
on experience, the whole imaging chain does not yield higher-resolution
images (in practical terms) when you take it above 2400DPI.

Kinda how a 21MP Canon 5D MkIII with your average zoom lens does not
yield appreciably higher resolution than a 12MP 5D Mk I does with the
same lens.

One part of the imaging chain is capable of 6400DPI, but all the other
variables (not to mention trying to get the film in focus with those
silly film holders) conspire to effectively make the output quality
plateau at around 2400DPI.

I guess one must always keep one's expectations in check for a scanner
at this low price level. I'm quite happy with mine!

Dawid