Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 00:20:58 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>> Of couse, there is no pickup roller at the back so you have to take care
>> of
>> this.
>
> Nor is there an opening int he back of the case of the V-ED. Hmm. Very
> interesting, though.

Oh! I didn't know that. My 4000ED has the rear opening but I don't have the
need of scanning roll film, all the negatives I have were cut into four or
six.

> If that Pacific Whatever scanner actually works well, it might be
> tempting to pick one up, but I could probably sell the V-ED and get a
> used 5000 for the same amount of money.

There are some good local offers for the 5000ED but they are still over
US$1K. I don't see any scanning job coming so I will just use the Epson 4870
and 5D II+80/4 for my personal stuffs.

> Alas, I did recently figure out a new set of settings which allows me
> to scan the film much faster. Final output is fine for up to 8x12".
> Beyond that size and I'm better off doing a higher quality scan. These
> settings can bring it down to about a minute an image. But it does
> require that I use film profiles.

I remember when I was doing the 10K negative job, I scan them with Vuescan
and SA21 adapter, no autofocus for each frame, at 2500dpi it was less than a
minute/frame. Since I have to manual adjust the color for each frame (which
took 1-2 minutes each) so faster scanning speed did not help (I did scanning
and editing at the same time).

C.H.Ling