Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:21:34 -0400
Yes, I'm using a Nikon LS5000 with an SF-210 batch loader.  I'm using the
Silverfast 48bit HDR scan with two exposures.  According to the Silverfast
site, it is normal for the raw scan to be very dark but it does contain all
of the information available in the slide.  I think where I am messing up
is in the conversion and post-processing.  I have no problem at all with
any other film.  Just the Kodachromes behave this way.  But I have tons of
Kodachromes to scan!

Color negatives scan fine:   http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/143476719

And Astia, too:  http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/143565322

Tina

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina,
>
> I'm not suggesting dropping Silverfast at all. From what I've seen of
> it, it's easier and faster to work with than Vuescan. I've been
> tempted to actually get it myself, but the tightwad in me says "stay
> content with what you have".
>
> Am I correct that you are using a Nikon scanner?
>
> Silverfast, like Vuescan is able to do the two-pass "HDR" like scan.
> This is important as it helps pull the details out of the shadows. If
> the "raw file" is dark and the highlights are more than a stop away
> from clipping, then you really do have a scan exposure problem going
> on.
>
> It really is true--scanning requires an "ETTR" (Expose To The Right)
> methodology to maximize quality. I wonder how much of the "grain" you
> are seeing in the scans is actually scanner noise and lack of bit
> depth coming off the scanner.
>

> --
> Ken Norton
> ken@xxxxxxxxxxx