Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:48:19 -0500
> Color negatives scan fine:

Ah! Fuji Press 800 is one of God's gifts to photographers. It's the
Tri-X of the color film world.

> And Astia, too:  http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/143565322

This one looks a little harsh to me too. The skin tones stayed neutral
(as I'd expect from Astia, whereas Velvia would have turned her into
the Great Pumpkin), but the contrast is too harsh. I have this desire
to dig into those shadows and lift them up a full stop.

The Fuji Press 800 picture is very close to what I really would like
to see from the slide scans. It's a touch flat, but far more
publishable. The slide scans, on the other hand, would be terribly
hard to work with in offset printing. Dot gain will completely block
these images up.

I'm about a hundred miles away from my file cabinet with all my slides
at the moment. Won't be able to do any test scanning until the
weekend. But I will experiment with some Kodachromes to see if I can
recreate the look which you have in your scans. If I can duplicate the
look, then i can figure out how to correct it.

I know Moose is chomping at the bit to Moosify your pictures, but I
don't think we're really any where near that point yet. We've got an
underlying issue to figure out first.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx