Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:12:43 -0500
Tina,

I'm not suggesting dropping Silverfast at all. From what I've seen of
it, it's easier and faster to work with than Vuescan. I've been
tempted to actually get it myself, but the tightwad in me says "stay
content with what you have".

Am I correct that you are using a Nikon scanner?

Silverfast, like Vuescan is able to do the two-pass "HDR" like scan.
This is important as it helps pull the details out of the shadows. If
the "raw file" is dark and the highlights are more than a stop away
from clipping, then you really do have a scan exposure problem going
on.

It really is true--scanning requires an "ETTR" (Expose To The Right)
methodology to maximize quality. I wonder how much of the "grain" you
are seeing in the scans is actually scanner noise and lack of bit
depth coming off the scanner.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx