Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter

Subject: Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:58:23 -0500
> You am what you am. Don't need any more than that.

Hey, no problem. Probably not the wisest term to use (however,
commonly used) to describe a self-righteous twit who has "seen the
light" and anybody who disagrees with him hasn't evolved past
primordal ooze. Usually, this "seeing the light" involves having
bought the latest/greatest camera on the market and declaring that "I
was a blah blah blah film photographer for blah blah blah years and
even an iPhone produces better images than I ever got from
Hassleblad/Nikon/Large Format/etc." (ever notice that these types
always claim experience with the top brands and largest formats but
don't know how to use a handheld meter?)

Fortunately, we really don't have those types here on this list as no
self-declared expert in photography would be caught dead with an
Olympus.

THAT is my definition of the now banned term.

But don't let this obscure the fact that a horses for courses approach
can be healthy and relieve a lot of grief. Just to use HDR (treating
tone-mapping as a separate topic) as an example, there is a "logic
fail" going on. An advantage of chimping is to verify that you got the
shot exposed correctly. But with the hard limits of digital (no
toe/shoulder to fudge), inaccurate metering (must we ETTR?) and so
forth, we don't really know what we got until we load the images in
the computer and start bending the bits around. So, what really is the
advantage of digital over film in this case? Convenience? No. Cost?
No. Uniqueness of images? No. Quality of images? Maybe, maybe not.
Operator skillsets? Absolutely.

Having gone 100% digital workflow means that a photographer has
optimized his or her methodology for a single technology. With the
high costs of a 100% digital workflow, it behooves the individual to
make the effort to become exceptional at this workflow. I argue that
if an individual were to dedicate the same time investment into
perfecting and improving a film or hybrid workflow, that the image
quality would be equally as good. But when a person goes over to
digital, they stop developing their film chops. After a few years it
is easy to claim that film stunk.

Film, digital, it's all good in my book. "My way or the highway" types
I have little use for.

AG