Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter

Subject: Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:26:50 -0700
On 9/14/2011 6:24 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Well, just completed round one of DR comparison. I converted everything
> exactly the same way (flat, zero corrections of any kind) in Picture Window
> Pro. Yes, it's pretty brutal in the uncorrected format, but that's what I
> wanted to see here.
>
> Out of entertainment we shot the 7D at 100 and 3200. I've got an observation
> about this. I'm not aware of the 7D pulling exposure for ISO 100, but there
> was an apparant DR hit on it. We may retest at ISO 200 to study this
> further. Regardless, Canon definitely fixed the color and dynamic range
> issues with the 7D.

Are you aware of the Highlight Tone Priority option on the 7D, 60D and 600D?
From the dpr reviews, it appears to have
been improved on the 60D and 600D.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/page13.asp>  It's pretty
effective,
adding a real shoulder and several steps of highlight range, but raises the
noise floor, so on high DR subjects where
you care about the shadows, bracketing and HDR/merging are still the way to go.

> I'm quite impressed with the ISO 3200 tests. I can tell
> there is a lot of noise-reduction going on with the 7D's 3200 setting
> because the bottom end was lifted and the top end supressed. Inotherwords,
> the noise is being masked in-camera (even on the CRF files) and then
> noise-reduction is actually extending the useful dynamic range of the
> image!!!

I haven't played with 3200 much, but what I've seen is pretty impressive.

Of major interest to me was how the venerable E-1 stood up to these two
cameras. Just as I expected, the top end takes a hit. But so did the 7D at
ISO 100. The 7D at 3200 almost perfectly matched the 5D's dynamic range at
100, but at ISO 100 it was almost a dead knockoff to the E-1. The grayscale
portion of the IT8 target looked like this: (no highlight recovery performed
at all on these 3-stop overexposed images--that's coming next):

Last easily identifiable Gray patch on the scale:
E1 - 12
5D - 9
7D (100) - 11
7D (3200) - 10

The real surprise to me is the 7D's performance. At ISO 100, the dynamic
range is hardly better than the E-1's. In fact, it experiences similar color
shifts as the E-1.

Odd. Dpr's DR tests show a good low end, although the 60D shows one more
graduation on the low end than the 7D

> But the ISO 3200 setting of the 7D revealed curves very
> much like the 5D's at 100.
DR Moose