Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter

Subject: Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:43:52 -0500
Jim wrote:
> Interesting reading for one who likes the E-1, and is too tight to spring
> for the 5D or 7D.  There appears a lot of life left in the old girl yet!

What scares me is what I'm about to find out in a few hours. We also
tested Ektar 100. I'm curious where that clips. :)

So, my Canon shooting buddy who helped me with this test talked about
some of my preliminary thoughts. I expressed how the E-1 has a
distinctive increase in lower-midtone contrast which helps give the
images that Kodak sensor punch we all love. It really isn't so
apparant until you do A-B comparisons with the graphics lined up
adjacent to each other. The 5D looks pretty flat and lifeless in
comparison. This plays perfectly into the common technique of
processing the snot out of those images to give more low-end grunt. It
reminds me a lot of my experience with T400CN, which just didn't give
a good clean black unless you split-grade printed the image.

The 7D, however, seems to have a little more contrast in the
lower-mids. Not as much as the E-1, but distinctly different than the
5D. So we discussed this and he tells me that this was absolutely how
it works for him and why he uses the 7D almost exclusively for
portraiture (of which he is quite a master of and does a lot of Andrew
type of work). The 7D images don't need nearly as much post-processing
as the 5D. Not that the 5D is bad, though. The 5D is quite good, but
Canon definitely did well with the 7D.

I was definitely impressed with how well the E-1 did hold up against
the highly vaunted 5D. The 5D is obviously better in every measurable
way, but for a camera with 1/4 the sensor surface area, the E-1 puts
up a good fight.

As I've stated several times in the past, I think the 7D remains the
best DSLR on the market today in terms of
price/features/performance/results. These tests have only reinforced
that opinion.

AG