Re: [OM] (OT) More From Acadia

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) More From Acadia
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:05:52 -0500

> only a few [B&W] prints have sold. That said, I'm going to continue to put
> them out because I like them. <g>

Again, this points to the three types of buyers.  B&W is completely lost on
the first category.  B&W does not sell at all to those looking for
"postcard" type pictures that they can show to others and say "I saw this, I
was there."  I'm having a hard time remembering ever selling a B&W print to
that category.

Frankly, the dumbest, most artistically stupid picture you can come up with
is probably going to be the biggest seller.

But there is where the rub is.  Are we in it JUST to make money or do we
want to create ART?  Frankly, a true artist is not driven by profit--just a
desire to create.  To "sell" is to "sell out". The middle road is where I'm
at.  I'm less an artist and more a craftsman. A craftsman is that middle of
the road individual that both the artists and the mass-production people
despise. A craftsman will rarely create "High-Brow Art", but grouses about
the masses that can't tell the difference between an inkjet print from
Kinkos on 18# copier paper and a finely crafted silver-gelatin on fiber
print. A craftsman will usually create works of higher quality than an
Artist, but will never be recognized or "collected".

Craftsmen are usually too prolific to be an Artist, but not prolific enough
for mass-production.

AG