[OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:06:07 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> I tried to make it clear that my reply was strictly about the claim that
> the LX2 had noise comparable to the F30. I was not trying to compare the
> two cameras in other ways.

I understood you were talking about noise only but since the topic is F31fd
replacement, I just add some more comment on other areas.

> The FZ18 is a much larger, heavier camera than the F30, so one starts to
> get into trade-offs that vary for different people. I much prefer the
> size of the F30 and the excellent design of the Fuji belt case. But I
> mostly end up carrying the A650 IS, even though it's a bit too big and
> heavy, for the advantages it offers me. The tilt and twist screen is a
> HUGE thing for me.

When you have the FZ18 on you hand you will know how small and light it is
and I like eyelevel viewfinder more than the LCD. I always carry a small
shoulder bag with me so there is no problem to accommodate a camera of that
size. The extra range at the long end is very useful.

>> Sometimes comparing the image in dpreview is not that useful especially
>> at JPEG default settting, some camera has higher sharpen setting than the
>> others, the Panasonic is well over sharpened and it will cause more
>> noise.
>>
> How else is one supposed to compare IQ, assuming one can't buy them all?

Today for small compact camera I usually buy the used one, if it is not as
good as expected then I just resell it without lost (usually).

Here is a side to side comparison on the F30 ISO100 and ISO800 image, what I
don't like is the over softening of details and over sharpening that causes
halo at the characters.

Direct JPEG:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/DSCF0864-ISO100.JPG
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/DSCF0865-ISO800.JPG

Here is also the suppose much poorer (in noise) images of FZ18, at ISO100
and ISO400.

RAW - Silkpix converted, no NR:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1000496-ISO100.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1000494-ISO400.jpg

At ISO100, I like the FZ18 image more.

> I think comparing studio shots can be quite a good source of information
> in many cases. For cameras like the F30, where there is no control over
> NR and sharpening and no RAW option, the sample images are quite
> accurate representations of what you will get - or at least what I get.
> I don't use only dpreview; dc-resource and imaging-resource also provide
> standardized studio shots. I seem to recall that imaging-resource offers
> more shots with various imaging option settings.

Totally agreed with the F30 case as there is no option in image setting.

C.H.Ling