[OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:19:16 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> Two years ago I purchased a F30 for my young son, ... I still purchase
> another used F11 for my elder son as the Fuji give good results in most
> conditions.
>
> For myself, I used a LX1 for a year and switched to FZ18 last month since my
> wife wants a longer reach. I prefer RAW and 28mm wide angle over the F30's
> lower noise. I only use the Panasonic at ISO100, both cameras has an
> excellent lens and I like the color of Panasonic better.

I tried to make it clear that my reply was strictly about the claim that
the LX2 had noise comparable to the F30. I was not trying to compare the
two cameras in other ways.

The FZ18 is a much larger, heavier camera than the F30, so one starts to
get into trade-offs that vary for different people. I much prefer the
size of the F30 and the excellent design of the Fuji belt case. But I
mostly end up carrying the A650 IS, even though it's a bit too big and
heavy, for the advantages it offers me. The tilt and twist screen is a
HUGE thing for me.
> Sometimes comparing the image in dpreview is not that useful especially at
> JPEG default settting, some camera has higher sharpen setting than the
> others, the Panasonic is well over sharpened and it will cause more noise.

How else is one supposed to compare IQ, assuming one can't buy them all?

I think comparing studio shots can be quite a good source of information
in many cases. For cameras like the F30, where there is no control over
NR and sharpening and no RAW option, the sample images are quite
accurate representations of what you will get - or at least what I get.
I don't use only dpreview; dc-resource and imaging-resource also provide
standardized studio shots. I seem to recall that imaging-resource offers
more shots with various imaging option settings.

The last three digital cameras I've purchased have been partially chosen
using such comparisons and I think they accurately predicted the IQ
results I actually ended up with. I don't just compare the shots as is.
I also see how they react to processing.

Moose