[OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: F31fd Replacement
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:07:16 +0800
Two years ago I purchased a F30 for my young son, he was no longer
interested to use the C5050 as the size is too big and doesn't look smart in
his eyes. The noise level of F30 is much lower when compared with other DCs
in that size but I will only use it at ISO400 or below, after that the noise
reduction is very obvious and it is just "ok" for 4x6" prints. Since it
applied NR in-camera, further NR outside is not that effective, there is
also no sharpen control (the F30 is slightly over sharpen in my eyes).
Nevertheless, I still purchase another used F11 for my elder son as the Fuji
give good results in most conditions.

For myself, I used a LX1 for a year and switched to FZ18 last month since my
wife wants a longer reach. I prefer RAW and 28mm wide angle over the F30's
lower noise. I only use the Panasonic at ISO100, both cameras has an
excellent lens and I like the color of Panasonic better.

Sometimes comparing the image in dpreview is not that useful especially at
JPEG default settting, some camera has higher sharpen setting than the
others, the Panasonic is well over sharpened and it will cause more noise.

The LX3 is a very interesting camera, 24mm F2 is unbeatable, the one stop
faster speed compensated for the higher noise, it is certainly in my
purchase list.

C.H.Ling