[OM] OMer meeting in Liverpool

Subject: [OM] OMer meeting in Liverpool
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:41:41 -0300
Ahead of leaving for the UK earlier this month, list member Brian Gray
kindly suggested that he and his wife meet me for lunch one day in Liverpool
to be followed up with chatter on all things Olympus, a downtown walkabout,
an at-home evening meal, an overnight stay and a hearty breakfast the
following morning. Who could resist such an invitation? I didn't. That such
an invitation could be thrown to a complete stranger is an indication that
this OM list is a family of mature and friendly people all sharing a common
bond of integrity and honesty.

This trip to Liverpool was only the second visit in over 30 years after
having graduated from the U of L in my late 20s. Brian and his wife Vivienne
[also my wife's name] helped me retrace some of my steps from the 1970s and
also for some of those of our son who learned to walk on the Mersey
promenade.

It is very heartening and gratifying that there is still enough trust and
respect in the world for complete strangers to welcome other strangers into
their midst with the only common denominator being their membership of an
internet discussion list and the associated trust that such a membership can
engender.

I should like to tip my hat to Vivienne and Brian Gray for being such
welcoming, kind and graceful hosts and also for providing some relief from
the anxiety of visiting my mother, 94, recently widowed after 65 years of
marriage, recently out of post-op at a major hospital, physically frail and
in decline, but as mentally sharp as ever.

John Hudson
Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia