[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:01:55 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 22/07/2008, at 6:35 PM, Moose wrote:
>

>> So you unquestioningly adopt your mother's prejudices?
>>

> You calling my mother prejudiced? That's MY domain!

Not me, mate. I was calling you prejudiced.

I'd be willing to bet there are considerably more people in Spain and
Latin America who consider baby girl ear piercing a normal and desirable
practice than North European Protestant descended folks who don't.

Denigrating the normal practices of other cultures strikes me as one
clear example of prejudice, no?
>> Nah. You've simply stood still while the world has changed around you.
>>
> http://hubpages.com/hub/every-ear-piercing

Not my thing, although at least in part because it all looks like a
tremendous hassle. But I don't see why I should judge the practices of
others that have no direct deleterious effect on me or anyone other than
themselves.

Practices of body marking, scarification, mutilation and of body
adornment with attachments, inserts, etc. go back before recorded
history. I don't believe there is any culturally neutral place from
which to evaluate/judge them.

I do believe practices such as clitorectomy are in a different category,
as they are not adornment, but are always to be hidden. Mutilation as a
means of subjugation seem to me to be another form of prejudice.

Yes, there are forms of penis mutilation used in some initiation
rituals. However, they do not remove the physical center of arousal. But
then there are the castrati and eunechs, etc.

Oh that's right, you are in favor of sterilization of the unworthy, how
could I forget?*

Moose

* Response to irony alert, for those who may be concerned.