[OM] camera hoarding

Subject: [OM] camera hoarding
From: Brent <brutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:36:15 +1000
Does anybody else get in trouble from their partner for collecting
semi-functional cameras off *Bay... and then never having the time to
fix / use them?

Got the comment last night "Another camera??? But none of the ones you
bought work anyway!"

I guess I might be a bit odd, but when I get time I actually like
pulling the old vintage cameras apart and trying to fix them... then
running a film through to see what I get, forcing myself to work with
all the weird old technology and learn it along with making all the
mistakes.  I don't often get good results from the really old gear
(except for from my OM gear which is finally getting into a fairly
decent state of repair), but they're improving and there's always the
chance of a rare shot which works perfectly.

Composing / imagining the end photograph, getting out there with the
sole intention of capturing images, it's almost like meditation.  Same
thing with fixing the cameras.  I'm not particularly good at it, but
trying to figure it out and learning as I go is a welcome relief from
the pressures of work and life.  In a way the actual resulting
photographs are secondary... a bit like fishing - the ritual of
preparation, being out on the water etc is to me more important than
actually catching fish (not that I've done any fishing in recent
history).

The frustrating thing is that because work and family take up so much
time, I tend to collect the various camera bodies and never get the
time to spend fixing them, and extremely rarely get the time to
dedicate purely to using them.  So I end up with a rather mournful
hoard of semi-functioning camera gear.

Anyway, my wife doesn't get it... she doesn't get fishing either for
that matter.

Wondering if there's anyone out to commiserate, or am I just odd?