[OM] Re: which one ?

Subject: [OM] Re: which one ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:56:38 -0400
To deal with the film curl I think I would try storing it in a reverse
curl position for some time.  Try wrapping the film longitudinally
around a cylinder, cover with a piece of thin cardboard for protection
and then fasten in place with rubber bands and let it sit for a day or
two or three.

As to dealing with multitudes of scratches I would suggest reading Ctein
in his "Digital Restoration From Start to Finish".  Chapter 8 of the
book has almost 25 pages of detailed methods of efficiently dealing with
scratches.  I haven't had any real need for the techniques there since I
bought the book but I wish I'd had it for the last serious piece of
restoration work I did.  It was an 8x10 glossy photo from the late 40's
or early 50's which had been rolled into a tight curl.  That introduced
what I think must have been thousands of tiny cracks in the emulsion...
plus some not so tiny ones where chunks of the emulsion were falling
off.  I finally finished the work to my own satisfaction but it took me
about three months of off and on again part time work using the clone
tool... the only method I knew at the time.  Using Ctein's methods I'm
sure I could have dramatically reduced the effort.
<http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Restoration-Start-Finish-photographs/dp/0240808142/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215999722&sr=1-1>

Chuck Norcutt