[OM] Re: which one ?

Subject: [OM] Re: which one ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:46:36 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> To deal with the film curl I think I would try storing it in a reverse curl
> position for some time.  Try wrapping the film longitudinally around a
> cylinder, cover with a piece of thin cardboard for protection
> and then fasten in place with rubber bands and let it sit for a day or two or
> three.

I don't know that I'd go so far immediately. I don't know how old the
film is, but I'd be more gentle. It is almost certainly rolled emulsion
side in. If the surroundings have been dry, the emulsion may be
relatively dry too. Suddenly flexing the film far in reverse requires
the emulsion to stretch. If it isn't elastic enough, it will break,
causing cracks in the emulsion, worse trouble that it already has.

I would first be sure it has been in a humid place for several hours.
Next, I would hang it up with a weight at the bottom to hold it
uncurled. Only if a few days of that hasn't reduce the curl sufficiently
- and - there is no damage, would I try reverse curling.

If the scratches on the first frames are on the film base side, Edwal
Scratch Remover, or simply the turpentine used by oil painters, which
is, I think, its main ingredient, may make them invisible. That's what
it has been used for forever.

Moose