[OM] Re: HP PC troubles - hard disk errors

Subject: [OM] Re: HP PC troubles - hard disk errors
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:48:15 -0500
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the drive but, before you
do so (and even if you do so) you might give SpinRite6 a whirl.
SpinRite (by Steve Gibson, Gibson Research Corp) has been around since
the early days of the PC.  I first applied it to a 10GB Seagate drive
about 1987.  It will work its arse off to recover data that is
ostensibly unreadable.  It does this by reading the same sector perhaps
hundreds or thousands of times and watching each bit that's returned.
Bits that are weak may be read incorrectly sometimes and correctly at
others.  By building a statistical profile of the sector data based on
repeated reads it can often figure out what's really there and then
rewrite the corrected data to restore the signal strength.

Whether it's worth $89 if you're going to replace the drive anyway and
especially if all the data is already backed up is up to you.  But I do
know that if anything can restore what you've got to good health this is
it. <http://www.grc.com/intro.htm>

Even if you don't decide to buy SpinRite6 you should at least try
"ShieldsUp" at this site.  It will give you a good idea of your
computer's internet security situation and it's free.

Chuck Norcutt