[OM] Re: HP PC troubles - hard disk errors

Subject: [OM] Re: HP PC troubles - hard disk errors
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:14:52 +1000
Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Then restore the ones that are crap on the HD from backup (hope the backups
> aren't just good copies of the crap originals).

No, they're not. They're fine. The way I understood the CRC cyclic
redundancy check (CRC) message, it indicates the hard disk has a problem
where the file sits rather than the file itself having any internal
corruption, if that makes any sense (by which I mean, if *I've* made any
sense). So, as I can't copy an affected file - the system fails on any
attempt to open, copy, move, rename or delete the file - I can't copy
its corruption either? Anyway, that seems to be the case, as the
relevant files are all there and okay on the backups.

The chkdsk completed with the indicated problems, and files removed.
There weren't all that many (about ten image files, plus a few other
things including mention of registry files - I haven't looked properly
yet) but the files were removed, unrecoverable, from the hard disk by
chkdsk.

My worry is that, based on what I've Googled, it will "only get worse",
and as it's my post-processing PC, I don't want to be buggerising around
with more random file corruptions/deletions and worsening problems,
especially while I'm continuing to add files to it, and trying to get
some image management up & running. So, I'm thinking Piers might be
right, and I should perhaps just replace the hard disk (I'm okay just
reinstalling all software - it wouldn't hurt after what has been
installed and uninstalled on it over time - and then just bringing the
data back from the backups).

...on the other hand, I could make it the "guest room" PC, and buy
myself a new toy. ;)

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz