[OM] HP PC troubles - hard disk errors

Subject: [OM] HP PC troubles - hard disk errors
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:03:55 +1000
Ewww. I've just been setting up Google's Picasa 2 as a stop-gap solution
to managing my images, when all of a sudden it started locking up when I
opened some specific images. Since I've not long started using it, my
initial thought was "ARRRH! Picasa!" but, well, a check of the relevant
images showed that the problem wasn't Picasa - nothing would open them.
What's more, any attempt to move or copy them (or even delete them) got
a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" data error. Eeek!

So, I looked some more, and there seems to be a few images that way,
scattered across a few directories, and some Googling seems to indicate
hard disk problems and that it will "only get worse". I'm currently
running a 'chkdsk /r'. After quite a few errors messages, scrolled up
past the top of the screen, I'm up to "stage 4 of 5" at 43% at this
point in time, and wondering what the result might be.

Anyway, my first point is...well, it's not a point but a question: In
the experience of others out there, is this going to "only get worse",
and do you have any advice or suggestions (note, I am running Windows
XP, and this box is a few years old now)?

My second point is, I have my images backed up on two external hard
disks, my laptop and my iPod (all but the scans on that last - I really
just use the iPod as a transfer device between my laptop and PC, but
leave the images on there while there's space). So, I haven't lost
anything from this.

If this begins to look ugly, it might be time for a new PC (or iMac if
Peter gets his way), so I may have more questions later. So, thanks in
advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz