[OM] ORF to DNG what do I lose

Subject: [OM] ORF to DNG what do I lose
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:00:20 +0100
Now I have an E-3 which is unsupported in Aperture I was wondering what
the best route for postprocessing would be. There  is the adobe raw to
DNG converter but do I lose anything in the conversion from ORF to DNG
should I just convert my images to  DNG and forget about it or is
something lost in the translation.

Currently I am shooting raw and jpeg, sometime the jpegs look fine
(better than the default processed raw files) and sometime the raw files
look better. I don't want to invest disk space and effort worrying about
it if I could just convert them to DNG and process as before. I have
read that the quality of the DNG conversion depends upon the openness of
the raw file creator.

I have looked for various raw convertors but I don't know which one is
best for the E-3

Question is will I regret it later if I just add the DNG conversion to
my workflow and then forget about orf and jpeg, has anyone looked into this.

thanks IanW

BTW want to know the cost of an E-3 in switzerland (the quivalent of two
days of this)-  I chose to spend money on an E-3 rather than get someone
in to do the demolition it and boy did I sleep well after that day

saturday morning  (well the room was cleared and electrical stuff
disconeccted)
http://www.thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/3734120_i5mfz#255864984

saturday lunchtime
http://www.thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/3734120_i5mfz#255858425

saturday evening (taken monday because I couldn't lift a camera until then)
http://www.thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/3734120_i5mfz#255857593