[OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose

Subject: [OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:16:03 -0000
I too convert from .ORF straight to .DNG as a first step (well, second
really - I rename with my own filename structure first .... and
Automator on the Mac is just excellent for that).  Like Chris, I choose
the "embed original file" option for fear that one day the .DNG format
may not be readable and I'd be left with a disc full of unreadable
images.

I had never actually considered the quality differences between
processing the .ORF and .DNG files.  Is this really much of an issue ?
Whichever I use, I would be tweaking the colour balance in processing
anyway, so does this matter ?  Do I lose detail or some other quality by
converting to .DNG and processing from there ?

Now I'm getting worried.  I thought I had that side of the process
sussed ;-)

Regards,

Jon

<snip>
I have converted my .ORFs to .DNG, retaining the RAW file and ensuring
that I can extract it later.
</snip>